Bible Verse Of The Day

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Cowpens And King's Mountain Battlefields, Part 2

My second stop on my Memorial Day trip was King's Mountain Battlefield. I had been to King's Mountain once before on a school trip. It was nice to return and enjoy the site on my own and at my own pace.

At King's Mountain, the Patriots had around 900 men and the British had around 1,100 men. Included in the 900 men in the Patriots ranks was John Crockett, father of Davy Crockett. Along with the battle at Cowpens, King's Mountain is know as a turning point in the American Revolutionary War.

I started my visit at the visitor's center for the Kings Mountain National Military Park. The state of South Carolina has a state park right next door to the national park which I did not go to on this visit but maybe on my next visit I will do both. At the visitor's center you can tour the museum and watch a video the goes over the battle of King's Mountain. I walked through the museum before walking around the battlefield. After I walked the trail through the battlefield I watched the video. I was lucky enough to caught up with one of the rangers of the park doing a walking tour on the battlefield. That made the walk more interesting.






The trail around the battlefield is paved but does go up and down the mountain. Some on the monuments along the trail have a short none paved trail to them. The trail makes a nice walk. Part of the trail goes through an area where President Herbert Hoover gave a speech in front of 75,000 people. I could hardly imagine 75,000 people in the area as a stood by the rock that marks the location where President Hoover stood during the speech.






After I walked the trail around the trail I watch the video in the visitor's center. I think I may make another trip the King's Mountain again and visit both the National Military Park and the state park next to it. I did enjoy my day visiting both the Cowpens and King's Mountain Battlefields.

No comments: