Bible Verse Of The Day

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Cowpens And King's Mountain Battlefields, Part 1

It has been a long time since I took a little trip by myself and get my mind off of the everyday things. I have been looking forward to a day off where I do not have any thing else to do. Since, I got Memorial Day off from work, I decided to take a little trip. I enjoy history and this trip would gave me a change to get more pictures for my Spiritual Places, Spiritual Moments Blog. I have decided go over my trip in a two part post.

Although, the Battle of King's Mountain happen first on October 7, 1780, I went to Cowpens Battlefield first which happen on January 17, 1781. Both parks are open from 9 AM to 5 PM. I had had to get up early in the morning for me since I work second shift and normally get up around 11 or noon, so I could make it to both battlefields in one day and have time to enjoy my visit. I got up at 7:30 in the morning to get on the road to make sure I had time to visit both battlefields.

The Battle of Cowpens is know as a turning point of the war. The Patriots' forces were lead by Nathanael Greene. Several counties, cities, schools and streets are names after Nathanael Greene including Greenville, South Carolina which I love go to a lot. The Americans won the short battle, about a hour, which became know as a turning point in the war.

I started my visit at Cowpens at the Visitor's Center. They are a video, museum and a map room presentation that goes over want lead up to the battle, happened at the battle and the aftermath. I do not watch the video but I found the map presentation and museum very informative. I recommend stopping the visitor center first since it gives you a good overview before walking that battlefield.





The walk around the Cowpens Battlefield is 1.2 mile trail with signs telling about the battle and showing where things happened. It is a enjoyable walk for those who enjoy history like me or people just wanting exercise.







I spend a little over two hours at Cowpens National Battlefield. I enjoyed learning in more detail about the American Revolutionary War. After my visit to Cowpens, I head over to King's Mountain Battlefield which is about a 20 minute drive.

No comments: