Bible Verse Of The Day

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sifting The Old Compost Pile

This afternoon, I started working on sifting through my old compost pile. I will work a little bit at a time until it is done.

In the front is my old compost pile with the nice rich soil in the back in my new compost pile that I started a couple weeks ago. I got my soil sifter and wheelbarrow.

I put one shovel load in the soil sifter.

Shake the soil sifter picking out big clumps, rocks, and trash out as I shake.

The soil falls though the sifter into the wheelbarrow leaving the bigger piece in the sifter, which I put on the new compost pile. This is so it will continue breakdown and puts the microbes in the new compost pile to help with the breakdown process.

After about 45 minutes, I ended up with a wheelbarrow full of soil for my flower beds.

I picked out some trash most of switch comes from the trash that was in the spot before I moved into the house. The rest is the plastic left from the tape on the cardboard I shred and put on the compost pile.

In the end, I am left with nice rich soil to add to the flower beds around the yard. I was while worth the work.

2 comments:

joeh said...

Apparently dirt is not so easy or "Dirt cheap."

Dan the Mountain Man said...

Joeh ~ Good dirt takes hard work.