Bible Verse Of The Day

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Working On The Yardwork

As you know part of owning a house is doing some yard work. Yard work is one things I do not look forward to doing but at the time thankful that I have to do it and it is my yard I am taking care of.

I have been lucky to only have to mow the yard about once every two weeks this summer. That is from in being so dry this year. It takes me around a hour or so to mow the front and back yard. Since I work second shift, I end up having to mow the yard in the heat of the day. I normally will mow the front yard one day and the backyard the next. I have through about getting a goat to help keep the grass low. It would not be the first time my family have use a goat to maintain the yard. My aunt and uncle had a goat for their property several years ago. Wednesday i did the backyard which I let grow out for the past month and got most of the front yard too. I finished the front yard on Thursday. I hope to save up the money to have a landscape architect help me arrange the trees and plants better. This fall I plan on cutting out a couple brushes and letting them grow back since most of them look half dead.

Saturday, I picked up my friend Seth that helped me with some other projects around the yard. Seth turned my compost pile and add the cardboard from pizza boxes to it. The compost pile is looking good. I try to give the compost pile a good turnover every week or two. It is looking good and I am sure I will be getting some good dirt from it soon.

While Seth was turning the compost pile, I started cleaning the gravel that had gathered it the end of the driveway over the years. I had planned to do it since I moved into the house last September. I used a push broom to push the gravel into a pile and then a shovel to put it bucket. I used the bucket to move the gravel to a spot by my garage. I try to find a way to make use of the things I clean up in the yard. Seth helped me finished cleaning the gravel up after he finished with the compost pile. We moved some 15 buckets worth of gravel from the end of the driveway. I will have to clean a little more gravel up later on but the driveway looks a lot better.

Seth and I had to leave to take the trash to the dump. I have not completely decided if I will continue to take the trash to the dump or hire a garbage service to pick it up. I have been watching the different companies that do the garbage service for my neighbors. There is about 4 different companies that do the garbage service in my neighborhood. One of the services has been in the news lately for not picking up the trash on time in the county to the north of here. It looks like they are having the same problem here. My one neighbor has them pickup their garbage. It have been about two weeks since their trash was last picked up. The other garbage companies seem to pick up the trash of my neighbors the same time every week. The guys that pick up my next door neighbor's trash will pickup their trash even when my neighbor does not put their garbage at the end if their driveway.

Maintaining the yard is a pain sometimes but it feels good to know god has blessed you to have one to call your own. I hope to be able to work on some of the other projects in the yard and in the house this week and next weekend.

No comments: