Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Food Journey: Down Home Squash Casserole

As I said before, I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. I have not cooking squash recipe before so when who's blog I follow posted a squash casserole recipe I had to try it. The best thing this recipe was really easy to make. I had had some barbecue chicken with the squash casserole. For the barbecue chicken all you need to do is get your favorite barbecue sauce and brash it on the chicken and bake until chicken is done.

Here is Janet's recipe:

DOWN HOME SQUASH CASSEROLE
2-4 yellow squash
1/2 onion, diced
can of cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cube squash. Cook squash and onion till tender. Drain water. Put squash and onion in casserole dish and add cream of chicken soup and sour cream and stir together.

Mix together:
1/2 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup corn meal mix
1 egg
2T melted butter
milk and water
(in other words make a small batch of cornbread)

Mix together the cornbread ingredients and pour on top of squash mixture. Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven about 30-35 minutes. Put on broil and brown cornbread on top if you wish.

~ recipe comes from Writing in the Blackberry Patch.

Just out of the oven!

I used the big 26 ounce can of cream of chicken soup with the squash mix. I love how it turned out but I think the next time I will use a little smaller can. The cornbread crust turn out great. The broil at the end of baking makes the difference in the look of the crust.


Already to eat!

I really enjoyed the casserole and plan to look for and try other squash recipes. I may even try try different things with the casserole.

Please take the time to check out Janet's blog, Writing in the Blackberry Patch.

2 comments:

Janet, said...

Hi Dan, glad you tried it out. Sorry, I guess I should have specified a small can of soup. But I guess it turned out okay anyway. I've got another squash casserole in the oven right now. I've never tried this one before. My neighbor brought it to me this morning before church with baking instructions. It is quite different than any I have seen before. I guess I'll find out later when we eat, if its a keeper or not.

Dan the Mountain Man said...

Janet ~ I enjoyed it a lot. I made try it again with some changes and see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing the recipe on your blog.