Bible Verse Of The Day

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Food Journey: Chicken Adobo With Garden Salad

I normally eat dinner with my mom on my nights off from work. This week, mom and I enjoyed chicken adobo with a garden salad. Chicken adobo is a Filipino dish. Adobo for the Philippines is like hamburgers are to the United States as for what you could call a national dish. Adobo is not only for chicken but it can be made with seafood, beef, vegetables or any other meats. I first had adobo when I went to the Philippines to meet my Love, Jo Anne. I enjoy Filipino food a lot. When I got the extra money when I got back home I brought The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro and started preparing Filipino dishes myself. I have used the cookbook and the advice of Jo Anne and her dad to prepare different Filipino foods. The cookbook was a very good buy for me I used it a lot, I recommend it to any one wanting to try Filipino cooking.

1 3-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
½ cup soy sauce
¾ cup white vinegar
1 or 2 heads of garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
½ tablespoon peppercorns
salt to taste

Bring to a boil the chicken together with the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns and simmer for half and hour. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and broil them in a pan for 10 minutes. Let the sauce in the pot boil until it is reduced by half. Add salt to taste. Cover the broiled the chicken pieces with the sauce. Serve hot. ~ The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro


I leave the chicken in the simmering sauce until the chicken is done instead of Broiling it. I do this because Jo Anne does not have a oven at their house in the Philippines. As serve it with rice since rice is part of almost every meal in the Philippines, while at least the ones I had there. Besides I like rice.

Mom put a garden salad together with some vegetables with had in the refrigerator. She green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, green bell pepper, blue berries, carrots, boiled eggs, cucumber, swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese, and cilantro. The garden salad was a good match with the chicken adobo. Mom and I enjoyed are meal together.

No comments: