Bible Verse Of The Day

Friday, August 14, 2009

Researching A Question For A Reader

With last week's Photo of the Week from the Dismal Forest, I received a question about why it was called the Dismal Forest? I have been looking into the question a have not found much more information that I already knew. In fact, the only thing new I have learned in my research in the Dismal Forest in located in the Dismal Valley. So I continue my research. I am currently waiting on replies to e-mails I have sent to the Greenville County Historical Society and the Caesars Head State Park asking for leads that I can use to answer the question. Next week I will travel down to Greenville if I have enough money for the gas to done more local research on the question.

Here is what I know so far about the Dismal Forest. The Dismal Forest is located in the Dismal Valley in Northern Greenville County, South Carolina. It is a hardwood forest that covers several miles. I am guessing at this point that it got it name from the thick forest cover keeps the light out from under the tree tops. I am trying to find the history of the forest to see who first named it the Dismal Forest.

I enjoy receiving question and comments from the readers of Mountain High And Valley Lows, and try my best to answer any questions quickly. If you have a question or a suggestion for a blog post please feel free to contract me.

No comments: