Bible Verse Of The Day

Saturday, January 31, 2009

12 Days To Go: Poverty Tourism

I read a entry on Compassion's Blog entitled Slumdog Millionaire and Poverty Tourism and started thinking of the poverty that I will see while I am in the Philippines. Jo Anne works with ministry that helps children who suffer from malnutrition and she is planning to show we where see works. I am going to see the poverty with the hopes of coming up with ideas to help the people who are in the poverty to get out.

The entry on Compassion's Blog talks about people touring the areas of poverty in India. I am not sure what to think about these tours. If tours are to show them how they can help the people there then I can not see anything wrong with it. Unfortunately, some people are possibly doing these Poverty Tours just to make money by exploit the people in the slums and not doing anything to help them. That is just wrong no matter how you look at it. I can only hope that the people who take these kind of tours will try to do something to help the people they see after their tour.

After, I see the poverty first hand in the Philippines, I hope to come up with a plan to help improve their lives. I already sponsor a child through Compassion. I would encourage you to do so as well.

No comments: