Bible Verse Of The Day

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fifth Day of Christmas: Santa Claus

I remember when I was young waking up early on Christmas morning and rushing out to the living room to see what gift Santa Claus brought for me. The story of Santa Claus goes back to a fourth century bishop named St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas would gave gift secretly to children and other people who were in need. He was declared a saint by the church for his acts of kindness. In the early history of the United States, Santa Claus was called Kris Kringle. The Dutch settlers mixed the stories of Kris Kringle and St. Nicholas calling him Sinterklass. Overtime, Sinterklass become want we called him today, Santa Claus.

In 1882, Dr. Clement Clarke Moore wrote a poem for his children that described Santa Claus with the round belly and the red suit we know today. He also wrote about his eight reindeer. The ninth reindeer, Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer, was created in 1939 by the Montgomery Ward Department Stores.

When I have children, I plan on sharing the story of Santa Claus with them. In telling the story to our children we should focus on St. Nicholas giving to people in need as Jesus asked us to do.

And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' ~ Matthew 25:40 (ESV)

No comments: