Bible Verse Of The Day

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Love Never Fails

“Now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”
1 Corinthians 13:13

This morning on my Quiet time, I have read the gospel written from the book of 1 Corinthians 13. I just want to share the message that God has teach me during my reflection.

As we all know, the month of June is what we called “The Wedding Month” or either “The June Bride”. Most of the couple have celebrate their wedding during this month. On our own knowledge, have we know the true meaning of Marriage? Well, Marriage is a union between man and woman, sanctified by God as a means of maintaining family life. It is a sacred vow made by a couple in front of God and people. On my Daily Bread devotional book, Poet Archibald MacLeish says, that “Love, like light, grows dearer towards the dark." This is what he calls the “Late, last wisdom of the afternoon”. The same is true of our love for one another; it can indeed grow dearer as we age. He share a story of his two elderly friends who have been married for over 50 years, but they are still very much in love with each other despite they are both dying from diseases, one from pancreatic cancer and the other from Parkinson’s disease.

Here is another story I would like to share and tells us what true love is all bout:

It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 a.m., when an elderly gentleman in his 80's, arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him. I saw him look at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.

On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, we began to engage in conversation. I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I then inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer' s Disease .

As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are? "

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, " She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is." I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life."

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.


In our daily lives, we have seen a lot of couples who have given up on their marriages, who are unwilling to endure through better or worse, sickness or health, poverty or wealth. So sad to hear what is happening in our world today. May the story of an elderly couple inspired us and teaches us that true love never gives up, “It Never Fails”. Theirs, is the “Late, last wisdom of the afternoon”, and it will continue to the end. We must express that same unfailing love to those who love us.


"Don’t put off until tomorrow the loving words you can say today."

This was submitted by girlfriend Jo Anne Hipolito.

No comments: