Bible Verse Of The Day

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Creating a Breakfast Casserole recipe

Earlier this week my mother give me some home fries from were she works. So now, I have a lot of potatoes in my freezer at home. I have been thinking of ways to use the home fries, I decided to make up my own breakfast casserole recipe with them. First I looked up other breakfast casserole recipes for how to cook (time and temperature) and ideas of what to put in it. This is what I can up with.

1/2 pound pork sausage
1/2 pound bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cups diced potatoes
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, cook bacon, sausage and onion, crumble bacon and breaking up sausage with the spatula. When bacon and sausage is cooked through, drain off excess fat.

In a lightly greased 15x11x2 baking dish, lay diced potatoes on bottom, then half of the shredded cheese, then bacon, sausage and onion mix, top with the remaining shredded cheese.

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk and pepper; pour egg mixture over rest of the stuff in the dish.

Bake, covered, in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Take out of oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.


I did not measure out the potatoes when I baked this so the six cups is a guess at how much I used. I filled the bottom of the dish with the potatoes. The next time I make the casserole I will measure them out to be sure of how much is there and leave a little more spacing in between the potatoes. Also the next time I work on this recipe I add more egg mixture. I have enough bacon and sausage in the recipe. It does taste really good. Try this recipe and tell me what you think. I will work on improving the recipe and I will tell you about it here. I also have some can pumpkin I need to use. I want to try to make something other then pumpkin pie with the can pumpkin.

No comments: